8 December 09.30 – 10.45 (GMT+4) / 05.30 – 06.45 (GMT)
This session will focus on the impact of climate change on maternal, newborn and child health (MNCH) addressing research approaches, findings and policy implications of a series of studies focusing on climate change and health and advocate solutions. The event will use a panel format, starting with statements from high level policymakers, continuing with presentations of the evidence base, and finishing with a panel and Q&A discussion.
HIGH Horizons co-host this event with the World Health Organization, Amref Health Africa, UNFPA, IDRC and CHAMNHA* . The session aims to unpack the challenges faced by women and children and propose concrete, locally-led solutions that could be scaled up. The event will also set out the priority steps needed towards developing national adaptation programmes to safeguard pregnant and postpartum women, newborns and children in the anthropogenic era. We anticipate that the discussions sparked by this session will paint the bigger picture of the needs for a community centered and gender transformative approach to climate action.
*CHAMNHA is a consortium led by LSHTM. LSHTM is a partner in HIGH Horizons.
You can watch the full session on the WHO COP28 Health Pavilion webpage webpage under the 8 December tab.
- Dr Omnia El Omrani, COP27 Youth Envoy
- Dr Anshu Banerjee, Director, Department of Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health and Ageing, WHO
- Dr Angela Baschieri, Technical Lead on Climate Change, UNFPA
- Professor Veronique Filippi, Professor at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, CHAMNHA and HIGH Horizons project
- Vania Kibui, Regional Policy Advocacy & Capacity Strengthening Lead, Amref Health Africa
- Dr Gloria Maimela, Director Climate and Health at Wits RHI
Other speakers and panelists to be confirmed for this event may include Health Ministers, youth representatives, and a member of the COP28 Presidency.
- Please note this event takes place at 09.30 – 10.45 (GMT+4) / 05.30 – 06.45 (GMT)
- Please note that the recording link will be listed on this page when available.